Thursday 20 October 2011

Union City Blue

The local pub. The last bastion of humanity, a place to relax with friends, have a laugh and most importantly drink good beer. But what is it about these pubs that make you want to keep coming back? We are about to find out.

So this time around Karl and myself ventured to Newtown to pay a visit to The Union Hotel on the south end of King St. Around this area restaurants and shops come and go, people move in and then they move out but one thing that hasn't changed is The Union. Ok, so we are not telling the whole truth - the place has been massively renovated - a bistro added, a beer garden area created and a second bar fitted out the back (with the same beers on tap), but apart from that nothing else has changed....except the beer. A real beer makeover has occurred as of  late with 9 craft beers on tap (and one cider), a whole fridge full of interesting brews and a well stocked bottleshop. The usual suspects are available on tap too (to keep some of their locals happy), but we are not here for that.





The atmosphere of the Union is that of a real local with an old "Tooths" beer sign right beside the bar, pool tables, a decent jukebox and long tables where you can perch on a stool and hang out with friends.  At the front bar the craft beer tap prices are on a blackboard so there are no nasty surprises when you get there. Two other boards display the bottled beers for sale and they have an extensive choice, ranging from the Lord Nelson brews to Murrays and a few decent Swedish ciders. Another nice touch we noticed was the "Coming Soon" sign on the bar. We really think more pubs should do this, especially since craft beer is starting to take off now, plus it gives you a good reason to go back to the pub! In case you are interested the 2 upcoming beers are the St Peter's brewery Killagh Stout and the McLaren Vale IPA.




Let's start talking about the beers. With 9 of them to go through and no taster/paddle options available it was time to pull on our drinking boots and get down to some serious research. The blackboard listed the Illawarra Draught on tap but it is in fact the Illawarra Wit.  Here is the craft beer list and all of the prices are for schooners (some of them do come in fancy glasses though!). Oh and for the record we did these reviews over 2 sessions as we wanted to remember what they tasted like.





          Stone & Wood Pacific Ale - Stone & Wood Brewing Co. (Byron Bay NSW)
 
Karl: Dan, I think this is going to be the hardest beer we have ever had to review. Voted #1 in the Critics Choice Australia Best Beer book, that's right it is the Stone & Wood Pacific Ale. So as not to offend do we paraphrase or even plagiarize the book? I know, I know that just would not be sporting....so I'll give it a go. For me this ale is perfect for hot summer days and is definitely not a winter beer. In saying that though, the Pacific Ale is a great beer, it's lovely fruity aroma and hops flavour combine to produce a refreshing taste with a dry finish, hence why I love it in summer.With an alcohol content of 4.5% and a price of $6 you can certainly enjoy a few of these in the hotter months.
Dan: The Pacific Ale has a very distinctive flavour and yes you are right, this is a perfect beer for summer. The aroma is almost floral in nature, which I'm putting down to the hops they use and is probably one of the reasons why the critics ranked this so highly. This is an interesting craft beer but I would definitely recommend trying the Stone & Wood Lager from the bottled list also.

       Nut Brown Ale - Holgate Brewhouse (Woodend VIC)

Karl: Okay Dan I have to say it, I can't hold back anymore. This cheeky little number is my favourite beer at the moment ever since I first tried it at Harts.As you know I am a massive Nut Brown Ale fan and this stacks up to any I have tried. The full malt flavour makes this a sensational session beer - I seriously could/can drink this all night long. The alcohol content is 6.3% and at $8.30 it is the most expensive beer on the menu, but it is certainly worth every drop!
Dan: To put it simply the Holgate Nut Brown Ale is great and I would advise anyone who likes their beers strong and malty to check this one out while it is still on tap. The roasted nut/coffee/caramel aromas are off the charts and it is a pure delight to drink, even the bar staff could not stop talking about it. I know Karl is a huge Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale fan and the Holgate ranks right up there.
        
          Murray's Angry Man Pale Ale - Murray's Brewing Co. (Port Stephens NSW)

Karl: I have to say with alcohol making so many people hot under the collar, it is fitting for Murrays to release a beer by the name of Angry Man. Rebranded from the Nirvana Pale Ale,the Angry Man sure packs a punch. This full bodied hoppy beer is not for weaklings so expect to jump in the ring and do battle with this one. If you like the hops you will be able to take on the Angry Man and enjoy every drop and with the alcohol content weighing in at 6.5% and at $5.80 a schooner, it doesn't pack a punch to the wallet. Does this beer make you an angry man Dan?
Dan: You know me Karl I'm always angry, but good beer usually cheers me up. Do I like this beer? Yes I do. Would I drink a lot of these? I would say 2 or 3 seems about right. The Angry Man has a lot of hops in it, so it is not for the fainthearted but if you are curious about hoppy craft beers this is definitely worth trying.

          Wit - Illawarra Brewing Co. (Wollongong NSW)

Dan: The Illawarra Brewing Co.have not been around that long but they know how to make one mean witiber. This is instantly likeable (i.e. heavily drinkable) with a beautiful citrus aroma and a typical white beer hazy complexion that makes you want to keep coming back for more. I'm not exactly sure what type of hops are in this but there is a certain bitter sweetness I can't put my finger on. What are your thoughts Karl?
Karl: I tell you what Dan with the "Wit" being the first beer I've tasted from the Illawarra Brewing Co., I think our relationship can only get better! This is one of the best wheat beers I have ever drunk, maybe even better than most of the German and Belgium beers I've had. The Wit has a perfect balance of fruit and a sour taste that makes this a very drinkable beer all year round. I have to stop talking about this one otherwise I will go on and on. With an alcohol content of 5 % and a price of $6.20, drink as many as you can  until it's no longer on tap!

        Vale Ale - Mclaren Vale Co. (Mclaren Vale SA)

Dan:  Mclaren Vale Ale was our next beer of choice and judging by the amount of signage around the pub, it has to be popular.This particular beer was The Local Taphouse People's Choice winner last year in their "Hottest One Hundred Craft Beer Poll". The Vale Ale comes across as an American Pale Ale but without the hoppy flavours so I'm not too sure where to place this one. It is pleasant and drinkable but a bit too mild for my taste, where do you stand with this beer Karl?
Karl: I have to say this beer confuses me too. There are none of the characteristics I would expect from an American Pale Ale. However, the mild (slightly malty) flavour makes this a great introduction to the world of craft beer in my opinion. I definitely think this is one of those rare beers that presents better from the bottle and I could easily knock a few stubbies of this back at a summer BBQ. The alcohol content on the Vale Ale is 4.5% and costs $5.90.

        Vale DRK - Mclaren Vale Co. (Mclaren Vale SA)

Karl: I kind of feel sorry for this beer being on tap with the Holgate Nut Brown Ale, as it is not heavily hopped and the Holgate quite frankly overshadows it. The Vale Dark Lager has soft caramel and toffee undertones making this a beer that would appeal to everyone. Dan, I would be interested to hear your comments on this as I know you appreciate your dark lagers as well.
Dan: Although the tap says Vale DRK, I'm calling it Vale Dark Lager too (so there!). At $5.90 a schooner and an alcohol content of 4.5% this easy going Dark Lager is a good gateway craft beer. Neither overly malty or hoppy, it goes down very well but a porter it isn't - this is definitely a lager that can be enjoyed all year round. I would most certainly have one of these over the Vale Ale if given the chance.

        Schwartz Pale Ale - Schwartz Brewery (Sydney NSW)

Karl: For me the Schwartz Brewery has never let me down, all their beers are very drinkable and the Pale Ale is no exception. With a floral aroma that just makes you want to dive into the glass, it is the rich malty flavour that stands out for me and I can see us drinking a few of these over summer.
Dan: Another great beer from the Schwartz Brewery in my opinion. This full bodied, American style Pale Ale has plenty of flavour without punching you in the face with hops and a thick texture so you won't be slamming these back like no tomorrow. At 5% and $5 a throw this is a thoroughly enjoyable session beer which is meant to be sipped slowly and enjoyed by everyone.

        Steam Ale - Mountain Goat Beer (Richmond Victoria)

Dan: By this stage we were ready for the goat and by that I mean Mountain Goat's Organic Steam Ale. Brewed in Richmond, Melbourne this beer is starting to rear it's horns on taps all over Sydney, and I have to say is not too bad. This organic American style ale is the kind of beer you can sit around with friends on a warm summers day and drink by the jugload. It has a crisp taste and is low on the hops so it goes down easy, weighing in at 4.5% alcohol content and at $5.80 a pop.
Karl: The Mountain Goat logo always drags me in, I really love seeing the 2 horns sticking up from the taps. For those of you who are wary of organic beer, you have no need to be with this one. The Steam Ale has a lovely citrus aroma and the wheat malt gives it a nice clean finish.

        Green Star Lager - St. Peters Brewery (St. Peters NSW)

Dan: The St.Peters Brewery is a stone throw away from the Union and has been going strong for just over 10 years now. Sustainability is what the brewery is all about, from how the beer is made to the packaging, but what does it taste like? The Green Star is a robust lager at 5% and after the initial bitterness (which was quite nice), I was keen to keep drinking it. However the decider with this lager is the aftertaste, it was still on my palette 2 beers afterwards. Not so bad I guess if you are drinking the same beer all night but problematic if you wanted to mix things up.  How did you find this one Karl?
Karl: Dan, I have to say I agree. This is definitely a beer that doesn't lend itself readily to playing well with others. This is the first time I've had it from the tap and I have to say was pleasantly surprised. For a lager it is very bitter, which I think is a bit of it's charm. It will set you back $5 a schooner or $5.80 for a 500ml goblet.





With our research (or is it beersearch?) concluded, Karl and I sat back and soaked in the atmosphere of the pub. As we looked around us people were laughing, talking  and smiling, and admist the sound of glasses chinking and the smell of sumputous food being carried from the bistro to the tables realised what it feels like to be a local.

Until next time

p.s. There are a couple of nice surprises in the bottleshop next door, look out for the Mountaingoat Rarebreed for $12 a longneck.

The Union Hotel
576 King Street
Newtown
















1 comment:

  1. congrats.on a brilliant presentation-obviously thoroughly researched-keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete